I’ve been trying to write this post for about SIX months now. Luckily, my entire proposal was captured in another blog post here:
So from my point of view, Kate nailed it (made me cry multiple times) but here’s a few more insight into what I was thinking these past couple of weeks before getting engaged!
I love Chris but he left out so many clues!! He even thanked everyone at our engagement party (another amazing surprise) for NOT spoiling anything where he had slipped.
What were the clues?
- Paper that had an “engagement party” list- luckily it had the wrong date on it (June 2nd- which bachelor party he had)
- Ring printouts – I did believe him when he said they here XYZ (secret!) friend’s
- Wouldn’t let me work the night of June 9th or do a double on June 10th- Chris usually gets a little annoyed when I want to pick up more shifts but understands sometimes I just want some extra cash. The fact he was so adamant about it may have given me a hint🙂
- a “To call” list left out on the Saturday of our engagement (who to call after)
However, there were so good trickery done by family/friends
- Cat never once hinting at anything when we went for mani/pedis
- Tina who helped organized the party– no clues from her
- Mom never let on anything
- Dad denied that Chris was proposing when I asked him straight out the Sunday beforehand
- Colleen whose tweets threw me off completely
- Colleen’s family who was in on the surprise and keep an email chain going
- Kelly who had a wedding that night, of course it couldn’t happen when she was busy!
- Jen who I saw the say before and didn’t say anything.
After it all happened, ALOT of things made sense:
- My family was avoiding me because they didn’t want to ruin the surprise. I didn’t even get invited to my cousin’s graduation!
- Jess knew all and even asked me the type of ring I was thinking about (never even guessed or picked up on that)
- Jen who knew and made sure I had my hair done
- Kelly who knew but didn’t lead me on at all
- Chris grilling me about my travel plans after work on the 9th while we were a month away!
- People liking certain photos and Facebook statuses
- Why we HAD to buy a new camera
- My future in-laws acting a bit off on the day of
So what did I think? I thought from the first sets of bullets that it was in fact was coming soon. I figured it was Friday or Sunday the weekend of June 8th. It wouldn’t be after that because we had a solid 4 weeks of wedding stuff for friends and family. When it didn’t happen on Friday, I figured that it was later in 2012– like the holidays, Chris’s favorite time of year. I never picked it to be on that Saturday!
We headed into Boston for Colleen’s birthday dinner. We were dressed up given the restaurant we were going to… little did I know! Being 20 minutes early for the reservations, there was no surprise to me that we’d spend that time on a beautiful Saturday afternoon/night by the waterfront in Christopher Columbus Park. This is where Chris and I had our first date and first “official” kiss (freshman year drunken kisses don’t count!). It wasn’t THAT abnormal that we’d take a minute and sit down and talk.
And what a conversation we had. Chris was pointing out random boats and did really seem nervous. I’m not going to lie, I had a weird feeling all day too. He got up (and I did think.. well maybe he is proposing now) and said let’s head out to our reservations. Nope.. not happening, let’s go to dinner. There was music playing and I did want to stay a few more minutes later but we took the long way under the archways to walk up to Strega. THEN…
Chris kissed me and got down on one knee!!! When everyone says you black out when you’re getting proposed to– it’s so true. I honestly have no idea what was said. I said “no no no, is this real?” about 18x.
After saying “yes!” we took the picture above. As Chris put down the camera, I saw Kate from MKD and start balling crying– Chris (and his amazing brother & sister-in-law) had arranged this all to be photographed. It was a dream come true and I still can’t believe it happened!
We called our parents– more happy tears! Then we had an impromptu engagement shoot with MKD. I must have asked Chris a zillion questions during it!
Chris then said he had one more surprise for me. He made dinner reservations at one of Boston’s most popular restaurants – Del Frisco’s on the Seaport waterfront. Telling them beforehand about the proposal, they sat us outside and we got to watch the sunset. The manager even sent over a bottle of champagne. Chris had chosen the best wine beforehand and it was such a special treat. The food was amazing but honestly could have only a few bites because of how excited I was.
Chris was pretty adamant about being to my mother’s by 8:30 pm, where she was hosting a small party of my family at my parents home. I was very excited to celebrate with my family and see my parents and brothers especially. However, as a down-to-earth girl, I just wanted to be in jeans. I was seeing my family, that’s what I wear to feel comfortable. Needless to say, Chris had NO problem with running to Southie to change before heading to my parents.
Well did I have the surprise of my life (besides being engaged an hour ago!!)
In my little apartment, there stood my entire family, Chris’s family, friends from high school, college, far away and close by all there to celebrate our engagement!
Enough of me and my shoeless feet! Here are all our great friends and family who made it and made this day even more special for us:
And Chris had more surprises. If proposing and a surprise engagement weren’t enough, he also made reservations at the Seaport Hotel. I walked into the hotel room full of roses, rose petals and champagne (again!)
I couldn’t sleep at all that night. Chris who couldn’t sleep for the past two weeks had a great night of sleep. I wanted to watch the sunrise and walked out to the piers in the Seaport the next morning.
The great thing about the last two pictures… without knowing it, I was taking a photo of our future venue…
What an amazing day and I still think about it all the time. Happy six months engaged Chris! Love you!